- Zanzibar, Africa
- Zanzibar is located in the Indian Ocean, about 25 miles from the Tanzanian Coast. It is an incredible Island that is said to be one of the only surviving Ancient towns in Africa characterized by beautiful sandy beaches with fringing coral reefs. Zanzibar’s local people are an incredible mixture of ethnic backgrounds, indicative of her colorful history. Islam is the dominant religion. Zanzibar is an island state within the United Republic of Tanzania, and has its own semi-autonomous government made up of a Revolutionary Council and House of Representatives. The current President is Amani Karume. The economy is primarily based on fishing an agriculture produced by the local peoples. Zanzibar is a hidden gem of Africa and is a place that I would love to visit at some point in my life.
2. Machu Picchu, Peru
- Rediscovered in 1911, Machu Picchu is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Incas began building the remarkable site around AD 1430 but it was abandoned as an official site for the Inca rulers a hundred years later at the time of the Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire.
3. St. Lucia, Caribbean
- An Island Country in the East Caribbean Sea, this gem boasts truly sensational beauty. Since February 22, 1979, Saint Lucia became an independent state of the Commonwealth of Nations. This volcanic Island features beautiful beaches and mountains. This would be the perfect honeymoon spot someday...
4. The Taj Mahal, India
- This Maosoleum located in Agra, India is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. As one of the most recognizable strucutes in the world, The Taj Mahal is the finest example of Mughal Architecture, a style that combines elements from Persian, Islamic, and Indian architectural styles. This amazing structure was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, in memory of his third wife. It is widely considered as one of the most beautiful buildings in the world and stands as a symbol of eternal love.
5. The Pyramids, Egypt
- As of 2008, there are 138 Pyramids that have been discovered. Most were built as tombs for Pharaoh's and their consorts during the Middle Kingdom era. The Pyramids of Giza are accounted as the largest structures ever built. The Pyramid of Khufu at Giza is the largest Egyptian pyramid. It is the only one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World still in existence.